With colder temps and winter fast approaching, be minful of your barnyard ‘pets’!
A few reminders:
● Provide access to clean water (ensure that it is not frozen)
● Adequate feed (increase feed to provide energy to help animals stay
warm); generally, for goats/sheep, increase hay consumption – not grain.
● Good grooming; protect from de-icing chemicals, which can
irritate skin; remove any ice/snow build-up in hooves and paws
● Store antifreeze (which tastes sweet to animals) properly; ingestion is toxic
● Provide shelter to escape wind and heavy snow
● Caution around icy areas to prevent falls and injuries
● Take care while hauling livestock in icy winter weather