Our feet do a lot for us. They take the beatings of the daily grind – getting crammed into ‘fashionable’ stilettos and narrow pumps – and carry the weight of the world on two tiny little plains. We take our feet for granted, so isn’t it time that we treat them with the respect they deserve? Yummy foot scrubs can be made with simple ingredients from the pantry depending on what you’re looking to cure. Treat your tootsies to an herbal soak followed by a sweet and luscious brown sugar foot scrub to help sooth those cracked heels, calloused toes and dry skin. Brown sugar also helps to slough off dead skin cells for faster skin regeneration and self repair. Apply the sugar scrub to pre-soaked damp feet for the best results. First, fill a shallow pan with warm water; add about a half cup sea salt, Epsom salt, fresh or dried herbs such as peppermint and lavender (a few drops essential oil works well too). A few smooth stones or glass marbles in the pan help to massage those tootsies! Soak for about 20 minutes and apply the sugar scrub.
Things You’ll Need for Sugar Scrub:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oatmeal ground oats
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp almond oil (olive and jojoba oil work well too)
- Food processor
- Small bowl
- Airtight container
Mix Your Potion
1. Grind the oatmeal to a smooth powder in a food processor and set aside.
2. Combine the honey, lemon juice and almond oil in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. Add the brown sugar and wet ingredients to the oatmeal in the food processor and process for one minute or until the mixture is a smooth paste.
4. Using a spatula, pour the mixture into an airtight container and seal with the lid.
5. Rub the scrub onto pre-soaked damp feet and massage for one or two minutes. Be gentle. Rinse with warm water, pat dry with a towel and apply a thick lotion of foot cream.
I hope you enjoy this simple foot ‘spa’ treatment – Happy Mom’s Day!